The Prime Minister of UK Boris Johnson just addressed the nation.
What was just announced?
If you’re just joining us, UK PM Boris Johnson has just announced a major ramping up of coronavirus measures.
Here are the major points of his speech:
- People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with
- Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”
- Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings
- From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” - shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”
- All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close
- All gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with - are banned
- All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned
- Funerals are not included in the new restrictions
- Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed
- Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”